|Finding the college or university that’s right for you
There are more than 9000 colleges and universities in the U.S. in a wide variety of
sizes, interests and locations. These include community colleges, professional
colleges, state universities, elite schools, private liberal arts colleges and technical
and vocational institutions. The process of choosing the right school can feel like
an overwhelming experience. Selecting where to receive your higher education is
an important and often times stressful task. Such an important decision requires a
lot of research and time – make sure you begin your research as early as possible.
Here are some tips and guidelines for choosing a college or university.
Tips for choosing a college or university
1. Decide what you want to study and major in.
2. Develop criteria for comparing colleges (see list below).
3. Decide on the location type of college you want to attend.
4. List the potential schools that match your criteria.
5. Begin gathering detailed information about each school on your list.
6. Narrow your list of colleges to candidates with the most potential.
7. Visit the remaining schools on your list.
8. Apply to about half-dozen schools.
9. Begin to search for financial aid as soon as possible.
10. Choose the winner – the school that’s right for you!
Criteria for comparing colleges
Location: distance from home or city
Type: public or private
Size: large university or small college
Cost: room and board, tuition, etc.
Financial Aid: scholarships, school loans, etc.
Degree programs offered and major areas of studies
Schools ranking or reputation
Housing options: apartments, dorms, live at home
Social life: sports, activities and organizations
Graduation rate and diversity of student body
Job placement assistance
Qualifications of faculty and student teacher ratio
Campus resources, security & religious affiliation
Internet resources for the college search
www.collegeboard.com - Information on comparing college costs
www.princetonreview.com - Data on college scholarships, campuses and more
www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/rankindex_brief.php - Ranking of best colleges
|Welcome to OnlineDegreeFacts.com
Education and Career Resources